Monday, July 20, 2009

Limelight Seeking

Now, I have absolutely no problems with limelight seekers (they amuse me somehow) so long as they walk the walk and talk the talk. Besides, a little bit of 'showing off' or to put it in a more milder language, 'flashing of remarkable qualities or skills to the whole world' is much, much needed if you want to survive in this troubling and competitive era. Otherwise, you'll be irrelevant and would be relegated to the background along with those who are deemed erm... normal and you would soon be forgotten because well, there's nothing special about you. In other words, you don't stand out. (Ah, I remind me of myself). Which is why I don't see anything wrong with limelight seeking (I love how it sounds. Don't you? :P). In fact, I respect them as they have the gutts to say 'You know what?I can do this' and they actually proove it. It's those who boast about something utterly minuscule or something that they actually know nothing about that I laugh at. But isn't it possible that these boasters' real intention is actually a harmless one? Perhaps they just want to share information. Let's study the case below.

My friend and I were told to meet our lecturer to discuss about an extra subject that we were suppose to take. He briefly eplained to us the nature of the subject as well as the necessary assignments that we were suppose to do. Before we ended our short 'meeting' he told us that his class is a small one and that it mainly consists of VIP's offsprings. An interesting point no doubt but highly irrelevant.

I very much enjoyed his first class and was quite impressed with his teaching style until a point came when he said that he does not practise favouritism. 'Anak Datuk ke anak menteri ke.. Semua saya layan sama saja'. Again, he mentioned about the anak-anak VIP but I just brush it off thinking that he meant well. After all, pilih kasih is never good. Good for you sir, I thought.

During the second class, we somehow arrived at the topic of politics during our discussion. As if on cue, he said with a huge grin on his face 'Tapi ni politik... so tak nak la cakap kan'. O... so someone in the class hails from a political family la... Again I brushed it off. I did wonder who but being slightly nyanyuk, I soon forget.

Finally, a week after the 2nd class, my lecturer could not control his excitement longer and decided to 'come clean' with us. I can't remember how the conversation started but it went something like this, 'Anak Datuk tapi tak tulis pon 'Datuk'(title) kat nama bapak dia' as he lifted the attendance list from his table. He paused and scanned the room. Perhaps he had hoped that it would give a dramatic effect. I don't know what the others' reaction were as I was busy staring blankly at him. An then he told us. 'Ooo... ' My friend and I said in unison. 'Patut la pandai' I thought. Haha.

The guy is very well-read. He talks passionately and eloquently, a trait I suspect inherited from his very infamous father. He takes after his mother in the looks department though, which is not necessarily a bad thing as I'm not sure how he would fair if he takes after the father. He's not handsome but decent looking, fair- skinned. Sejuk jugak la mata memandang kot. I was practically amazed that this person knew so much. My friend was already smitten by him during the first class. I mean, who doesn't like smart guys la?

So, finally we knew who is this person that got my lecturer into a frenzy. While it can't be said whether his intention was to just share information or for a litle bit of limelight seeking(he did also mention about a call that he had made to another offspring of a VIP whose name I have forgotten), I would prefer to just think of it as the former. After all, it's never apropriate to think badly of others, no? Not without a good and concrete reason that is. :P

No comments: