Saturday, July 7, 2007

Harry and I



I was fully convinced the moment I saw it. Although I have matured physically and hopefully mentally as well, that enormous picture on the cover of Friday's(6/7/07) Star Two assured me that over the years I have not changed. The inner kid in me was still jumping around somewhere underneath all that flesh. That morning, the inner kid broke through and I literally let out a shriek. Right there on the cover was the Boy Who Lived screaming his lungs out and the cool but shabby looking Professor Lupin! I was smiling like hell!
Thank God I was the only one up during that morning. The other occupants of the three-bedroom apartment were still in slumber land. My eyes darted back and forth as I read the four page story.

My 'love affair'(ce wah...love affair...tak leh bla...haha) with Harry Potter started towards the end of year 2001 during the released of the first movie, Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone. I can't exactly remember what prompted my mother to ask us three children, " Wanna watch Harry Potter?" and what made us said 'yes'. Maybe because of the giant ad I saw beside the road and the fact that I was a kid(I was 12 then) who loved(and still does) the fantasy genre. When the movie ended, I knew instantly that I was hooked and I began to immerse myself with the Magical World. It's funny to think that a few months before the first movie was screened, I had refused to 'befriend' Harry.

We first 'met' in a bookshop in KLCC if I'm not mistaken. I was browsing when a book with a colourful cover caught my eye. It had a train and a bespectacled boy who looked surprised. It was the first Harry Potter book. "Do you want it? I can buy it for you first then you can pay me back" my mother had said. I shook my head and said no and so we left the store. Why did I say no? Well, my sisters and I were brought up to think rationally and so buying a book that's worth almost RM 40 is highly irrational - at that time. And besides, I was 12 then. How much do you think I can save? And it's MY money we're talking about! Hehe...
But guess what, after watching the first movie, my mother surprised us all by buying 'Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone' book and from that moment I was determined to save every penny(or duit shiling) that I have in order to buy books 2 to 4. Yes, I did the most 'irrational' thing I could have ever done. Thank God I wasn't alone in this for my sister bravely joined me in doing the 'unthinkable' and together we went deeper into Harry's world.

In a few days, the 5th movie will be out and following that, the 7th and last book will be released. Hearts will definitely be broken as the story unfolds(Who the hell is going to die ar?). I, for one don't mind how it ends.I know it will turn out brilliant and I'm sure all the other Potter lunatics) think that as well. So let's not mourn yet for the Boy Who Lived(and his buddies) who none of us know if he will still live until the 21st. Let us instead focus on the upcoming movie where we will see the transformation of an innocent and vulnerable child into a rebellious and emo kid. Hell I'm excited!

No comments: