Sunday, September 14, 2008

F for Fascination... F for Father

People have always fascinate - and to mention disgust - me. Their lives, their characteristics, their beliefs and judgements make them interesting as no two person are the same. Even twins have their own differences despite the common notion that they 'act and think alike'. Honestly, can we really tell if Mary-Kate would jumped of a ship should Ashley accidentally went off board? And would Ashley do the same for her twin? We can't can we? Because nothing is for certain and people aren't always predictable. People, are like kaleidoscopes - colourful and as I said unpredictable because every time you turn the tube,different patterns and colours emerge. Which is why I have come to love them. They inspire me, they provoke my thoughts and most importantly their lives' history serve as lessons for this feeble writer... or should I say blogger?

It is with this fascination that I felt very honoured when on a warm Friday afternoon, my father told me that he would probably need my help in penning his memoir. He is in the midst of collecting whatever paraphernalia he can find for this latest project of his. Actually, he didn't directly asked for my help that afternoon.
This was more or less how the conversation(translated of course because we were speaking in Bahasa Malaysia) went that afternoon.

'I plan to write a - what do you call that? Memo? Is it memo?
'Memoir, papa'.
'Ah, yes. I plan to do that so that I can leave a legacy when I'm gone. So that my children, grandchildren, and grand-grand children will know about me'
- silence -
'But I have no time to do it. I need to find someone good enough to write it'
-Eye brows raised-
'You can do it right? I'll jot down the points - you can do it during the holidays.
Right?'
Nods.'Yup'

And he smiled. I can't begin to describe how I felt at that time. I have always wanted to write a memoir of a person, my grandmother to be exact. But that would be quite a challenge as I don't know much about her besides that she is a very wonderful person and the stories that she had told me. Perhaps I shall one day. I could even write about my entire family. That reamins to be seen. For now I am looking forward lo learn and to continue to be fascinated by my father.

3 comments:

Leha Kebaya Jarang said...

selamat berkarya wahai cik rumput :)

Ikin N. said...

how do you write a memoir?

i've never heard of this untill today >.<

can you show me some of your work later? maybe i can write a memoir of myself too,so people will remember me =)

Rumput said...

memoir is an autobiography..so you just write la whtever u one about urself..hehe..dont forget 2 include me lol